Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Toyota motorhome is a 1988 Winnebago Warrior 19RB with a 4 cylinder engine. It is 19 foot long with a bath in the rear and side dinette. I bought the motorhome as a project to keep me busy.

The chassis is in excellent shape with 79,000 miles. It will need little work other than a new exhaust system and the cab air needs to be fixed. The coach on the other hand needs a great deal of work. When I bought it I was aware of this and therefore picked it up at a very low price.

The coach has leaked and caused rot in the ceiling as well as the cabover bed. The weight of the roof top air conditioning had caused water on the roof to pool and leak. My plan is to remove the air conditioning and replace it with a Fantastic Fan. We usually boondock when we camp, so the air would get little if any use, and the fan made more sense to me. Once I remove the air I will re-skin the interior with ¼” plywood laminated with a thin sheet of fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP). This will then be glued and clamped to the existing roof panels. The overhead cabinets will be supported from the floor and therefore, will also help support the ceiling.

Here is a picture of the motor home as it is now. I will continue to update as I make progress.
      

3 comments:

  1. Nice rig! I live over in Grand Haven MI and I just bought a little 1984 Dolphin earlier this fall. It needs some modernization on the interior as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We live over by Mount Pleasant. This one will keep me busy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like we are going through a similar situation right now with our 1991 winnebago warrior. Going to be worth all the effort once you are completed. We have a website with all of our progress(and many setbacks) http://ourmoonwarrior.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete