Thursday, December 24, 2009

Since the last time I posted, I have completely removed the interior of the motorhome. All of the rotted areas in the walls and ceiling have been removed. As you can see from the photos, it looks horrible. I have to admit, there is more damage than what I had hoped to find. Regardless, my plan is still the same. I am going to reface the walls and ceiling using a 1/8” decorative faced plywood paneling. The paneling will be laminated to the existing structure by using a construction adhesive I can trowel on to the back of the plywood. Clamping the pieces in place will be done with adjustable cargo bars from Harbor Freight and 2 x 4’s. I’ll be sure to take more pictures when I get to that stage.

It’s winter here in Michigan, so for now the interior is going on hold until spring. I have other projects I can work on inside out of the cold such as repainting the rear view mirror brackets and starting the cabinets to replace what I took out. So, keep checking back for updates.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Here are a few more pictures of the interior of the Winnebago. As you can see the walls have all been covered with self adhesive decorative shelf liner. My plan is to remove all of that as it is already peeling, and cover all of the walls with new decorative 1/8" wall board. I figure this will be light enough to not add an excessive amount of weight, and will cover all of the imperfections.

At a first glance the interior doesn't appear to be in terrible shape but if you look closer you can see the tell tale signs of dry rot and leaks through out. I intend to basically gut the interior and replace all of the cabinets, ceiling and wall finishes, and flooring....As I said, I bought it as a project.

When I get it torn torn down further I will have a better idea of all that will need to be done. But, for right now I know I save in saying I have my work cut out for me.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Toyota motorhome is a 1988 Winnebago Warrior 19RB with a 4 cylinder engine. It is 19 foot long with a bath in the rear and side dinette. I bought the motorhome as a project to keep me busy.

The chassis is in excellent shape with 79,000 miles. It will need little work other than a new exhaust system and the cab air needs to be fixed. The coach on the other hand needs a great deal of work. When I bought it I was aware of this and therefore picked it up at a very low price.

The coach has leaked and caused rot in the ceiling as well as the cabover bed. The weight of the roof top air conditioning had caused water on the roof to pool and leak. My plan is to remove the air conditioning and replace it with a Fantastic Fan. We usually boondock when we camp, so the air would get little if any use, and the fan made more sense to me. Once I remove the air I will re-skin the interior with ¼” plywood laminated with a thin sheet of fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP). This will then be glued and clamped to the existing roof panels. The overhead cabinets will be supported from the floor and therefore, will also help support the ceiling.

Here is a picture of the motor home as it is now. I will continue to update as I make progress.